Construction is recognized as one of the most dangerous lines of work. However, that doesn’t give construction companies an excuse to be negligent. Instead, they should create a work environment that is as safe as possible.
Construction workers should have protective gear, proper training, and well-maintained, functioning equipment. Sadly, construction accident statistics show that some construction companies in Houston, TX and other cities fail to provide their workers with a safe environment.
Construction accidents injure tens of thousands of workers in the United States each year. Injuries from construction accidents often result in physical, emotional, and financial damages. When an injury does occur, the experienced attorneys at the Shelton Law Firm can help accident victims collect compensation for the full extent of accident damages.
Construction Accidents by the Numbers
It is easy for someone to make a broad statement about the dangers of the field of construction, but numbers and statistics allow people to see exactly what those dangers may be.
Here are some of the most startling construction accident statistics that have been gathered in recent years:
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that there are around 150,000 construction accident injuries each year
- The Bureau of Labor also reports that around 60 percent of construction accident injuries occur during an employee’s first year of work
- Based on data from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), 10 percent of construction site workers are injured each year
- Construction workers between the ages of 25 and 34 are most likely to be injured in a construction accident
- The majority of construction accident injuries cause damage to the worker’s back, spine, or trunk
- On average, over 1,000 construction workers die as the result of work-related injuries each year
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal construction accident injuries
- Combined, the following “fatal four” injuries account for more than half the construction accident deaths that occur each year: falls, being struck by an object, electrocutions, and crushing injuries
- According to OSHA, their most violated construction standard is fall protection
- Construction accident injuries are costly, accounting for 15 percent of total workers’ compensation expenses in an average year
- Texas is one of the states with the highest number of employees in the construction industry, and also one of the states with the greatest number of construction accidents
Construction accident injuries should be covered by workers’ compensation benefits. Unfortunately, not all employees or insurance companies are fair about providing the full financial compensation that an accident victim deserves.
The best way to protect your rights after a construction accident is to work with an experienced attorney, such as those at Shelton Law Firm. Our attorneys will consider all avenues of loss, including lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering. We will fight for maximum financial compensation for our clients.
If you have been injured in a construction accident, the experienced attorneys at Shelton Law Firm are here to help. Contact us at your earliest convenience by calling (713) 807-0700. Our attorneys will discuss the details of your case and advise you of your best course of legal action.