What to Do after an Accident


If you are wondering what to do after an accident, there are several critical steps to take. Most importantly, you should immediately contact a worker's compensation attorney such as Michael E. Shelton. In some cases, he may dispatch investigators to the scene of the accident.

View transcript

If you're injured on the job, more than likely your employer is going to have workers' compensation, but there may also be a third-party that caused your injury. For example, your employer has you driving to go to Office Depot to pick up supplies. On the way you're broadsided by another car. You'd be entitled to draw workers' compensation, but you would also have a claim against that third-party, the driver of the other car, if they were at fault. You should, for the workers' compensation claim, immediately file a notice of injury and claim for compensation. As to the other party, as in any injury, get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses, take photographs of the surrounding, take photographs of the automobile if it's a car wreck, take photographs of the equipment if it's a piece of equipment that failed. And most importantly, if it's a catastrophic injury, you or your family need to contact me immediately so that we can get reconstruction teams and investigators going right away to protect you before the evidence is gone, before it's damaged, or before it's misplaced or mishandled by the wrongdoer. If you're injured, either at work, by a third-party or in some other manner, call me and I can help you through the steps of what to do.

Michael E. Shelton

The Shelton Law Firm

Personal injury attorney Michael E. Shelton has been representing victims of catastrophic injuries in Houston, Texas, for nearly 50 years. He is proud to be a union card holder as a journeyman pipefitter and General Counsel for the Texas Building Trades Council, AFL-CIO. He is affiliated with several prestigious organizations, including:

  • The Texas Bar Association
  • The Houston Bar Association
  • The Louisiana State Bar
  • The Louisiana Association for Justice

If you are the victim of a personal injury, schedule a free consultation with The Shelton Law Firm today by contacting us online or calling (713) 807-0700.

Get In Touch

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite
Google map image of our location in 10000 Memorial Dr Ste 300 Houston, TX

Houston Office

10000 Memorial Dr
Ste 300
Houston, TX 77024

Open Today 9:00am - 5:00pm

(713) 807-0700 Send a message